A challenge to your beliefs- Week 1 Reflection

 

A challenge to your beliefs

 

You as a contemporary teacher?

To what extent is it reasonable to conclude that if you are not experiencing positive or negative emotions about the materials and activities in any learning experience, that you are potentially disinterested or not motivated? DIscuss in relation to your first emotional response to the nature of this unit.

For me as a preservice teacher who has subjects in Health and Physical Education and Psychology, I have learnt through past units that it's all about your mindset. Whether it be towards learning, sports or other outdoor activities even relationships with other humans, your mindset determines how majority of your day works out. As a student at university, if I have a negative mindset before I start studying my outcome is I won't end up studying for long. However if I plan my day out in a positive mindset way I am more engaged to smash out assessment work or content materials.  I believe this stands for students in their learning at school as well, if students have a motivating teacher who loves their job and is excited to start learning with them, the students mindset can change into a happy mindset. The teacher is the biggest motivator in the classroom most of the time and mindset can help a lot with how you feel about learning journeys and school experiences.  The one outcome holding me back (disinteresting me) specifically for this unit is the blog assessments as I am not used to it, however I am learning more and more each week and expanding my skill set. As you can see I have changed my fixed mindset to a growth mindset about the way I am learning my uni content and presenting it, students can do this with their learning as well! 

Elaborate on your emotions on engaging further with this unit? Positive, negative. Indifferent?

As stated above, my emotions have been up and down with engaging with this unit from the blogs but other than this thought I feel like I can really learning heaps of learning platforms and ways to engage students through ICTs. I feel ICTs are become more and more dependant within schools which is great for their generations who have grown up with iPads, Laptops etc. I believe this unit will really help me as a pre-service teacher who is continue to grow :) 

To what extent do you have the commitment to actively interrogate your emotions, and your beliefs about creative pedagogy (that extends beyond the mere delivery of information to your learners)? How might you be challenged to engage as you enter this unit?

As I forward into this unit, I believe I will have some struggles along the way whether it be recording my voice overs, trying to create new engaging PowerPoints or understanding vocabulary. However, I feel as though I reflect on my actions quiet often and will try not to let my emotions and beliefs shine too bright about creative pedagogy. I always try to be different with the content I am delivering so it catchers the audiences attention so I hope I can be challenged to help me grow as a uni student and pre-service teacher. 

Identify your present values and beliefs about ICT in the classroom. Keep it brief and focused.

I value technology in the classroom highly as their generation has grown up around it and it will bring a normal/ similarity likely from their households into the classroom. I also believe that it makes learning quicker with typing down information, displaying content in different ways for different types of learners in the classroom whether they learn from audios, videos, hand on, technologies can pretty much cover it all these days. However, teachers need to have professional development days to be able to use ICTs appropriately and effectively so this is a positive addition to classrooms instead of a negative drag and time waster. 

Your approach to teaching and learning

I believe education is the best industry to work in. I have experienced negative situations on pracs or teacher aide work but it hasn't stopped me from becoming a teacher. I believe teachers are the profession that creates every other industry in the world because students need to learn to figure out what they like and don't like. I believe we never stop learning and I love how we can change the structure of our brains each and everyday to expand our skill set if we have that growth mindset to believe in ourselves. I want to be the teacher that goes beyond for their students to help them excel in whatever career they desire and to inspire learning and the fails as mistakes are apart of the learning journey. 

Identify any challenges to your current values and beliefs as you enter this unit?

Not knowing lots about it to start with other than Microsoft Word, PP, OneNotes etc. I would like to get better at other platforms so that is a challenge learning other platforms and how to be effective with it. 

What experience do you have with ICT in the classroom?

I have used projectors, laptops, iPads, speakers ect but not many applications apart from Youtube, Word, Kahoot.  

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3- Web Spaces

Week 5- Presentations

Week 4- Digital Media